Frank S. Merritt
Ph.D., California Institute of Technology, 1976.
Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Physics, Enrico Fermi Institute, and the College.
Research: Experimental physics, particle physics.
I am a member of the OPAL collaboration, which has been carrying out high-precision measurements of electroweak physics at the Large Electron Positron accelerator (LEP) at CERN. Measurements near the Z0 resonance (91.2 GeV) over a 5-year period have provided the most precise tests (<0.1%) of the Weinberg-Salam electroweak theory and other physics.
The LEP energy has been substantially increased over the last few years, reaching 200 GeV. This has opened up a number of new research areas, including the most sensitive search for the Higgs boson, the high-precision measurement of the W-boson mass through W+W- pair-production events, and searches for supersymmetric particles and other new physics. Our group is now working on W-mass measurements, Higgs searches, other new-particle searches, precision measurements of the tau lepton, and heavy flavor physics.
I am also a member of the Chicago/ATLAS group, now developing the hadron calorimeter to be used in the ATLAS experiment at CERN's Large Hadron Collider. This will be by far the highest-energy accelerator in the world, and will take us into new physics beyond the Standard Model: supersymmetric particles, technicolor, and/or unexplained new phenomena. The Chicago group's major software effort focused initially on analysis of calorimeter test-beam data, and now on development of the analysis system and code for ATLAS data analysis.
- Precise Determination of the Z Resonance Parameters at LEP: Zedometry. G. Abbiendi et al. Eur. Phys. J. C19, 587, 2001.
- Search for the Standard Model Higgs Boson in e+e- Collisions at sqrt(s)=192-209 GeV. G. Abbiendi et al. Phys. Lett. B499, 38, 2001.
- Two Higgs Doublet Model and Model Independent Interpretation of Neutral Higgs Boson Searches. G. Abbiendi et al. Eur. Phys. J. C18, 425, 2001.
- A Combination of Preliminary Electroweak Measurements and Constraints on the Standard Model. CERN-EP-2001-021.
- Measurement of the Mass and Width of the W Boson in e+e- Collisions at 189 GeV. G. Abbiendi et al. Phys. Lett. B. 507, 29, 2001.
- A Measurement of the Rate of Charm Production in W Decays. G. Abbiendi et al. Phys. Lett. B490, 71, 2000.
- Photonic Events with Missing Energy in e+e- Collisions at sqrt(s) = 189 GeV. Eur. Phys. J. C18, 253, 2000.
- Search for Higgs Bosons and New Particles Decaying into Two Photons at srqt(s) = 183 GeV. The OPAL Collaboration. K. Ackerstaff et al. Phys. Lett. B437, 218, 1998.