Colloquia are held at 3:30pm CST.
June 18, 2020 - Grand Challenges in Accelerator and Beam Physics
Sergei Nagaitsev, University of Chicago
July 2, 2020 - A physicist’s view of learning
Arvind Murugan, University of Chicago
July 16, 2020 - New directions in coherent elastic neutrino-nucleus scattering
Professor Juan Collar, University of Chicago
July 30, 2020 - TBD
Giulia Galli (PME+Chemistry)
August 13, 2020 - TBD
Cheng Chin, University of Chicago
August 27, 2020 - TBD
Allison Squires, University of Chicago (PME)
September 10, 2020 - TBD
Guy Savard, University of Chicago
September 24, 2020 - TBD
Abigail Vieregg, University of Chicago
June 4, 2020 - Open Questions in Particle Physics (Talk begins at 29:33)
Carlos Wagner, University of Chicago
May 21, 2020 - Dynamical phase transitions at many-body exceptional points
Peter Littlewood and Vincenzo Vitelli, University of Chicago
Rooms for Department guests lodged at the Quadrangle Club are billed directly to the Department of Physics. (Government employees whose travel expenses must be paid by their agency may pay for their room and associated expenses using most credit cards or a personal check.) Reservations for colloquium speakers' accommodations have been made at the Quadrangle Club for each Wednesday and Thursday night throughout the academic year. Please report your lodging requirements to the colloquium chairman or to Shadla Cycholl as soon as possible and at least ten days before your colloquium. Mrs. Cycholl will cancel unnecessary reservations based on the information she receives; please don't make changes yourself as this has led to confusion in the past.
If you don't receive a UChicago travel log during your visit, please itemize your expenses in a letter with the following statement: "I certify that the amounts listed here are my true travel expenses and that they have not and will not be reimbursed by another entity." Then mail your original receipts and the signed log or letter with your home address to: Shadla Cycholl, Department of Physics, University of Chicago, 5720 South Ellis Avenue, KPTC 201, Chicago, IL 60637-1434. If you have any questions about travel reimbursement, please contact her at email@example.com or 773-702-7006.
The UChicago Comptroller's Policies for Receipts
- Transportation - Please send the original passenger coupon from your air ticket; for ticketless travel (electronic tickets), request a passenger itinerary and receipt when booking the trip and/or at check in. Comparable receipts are required for other common-carrier transportation. Coach airfare is the Comptroller's reimbursement standard.
- Hotel - Physics colloquium speakers normally stay at the Quadrangle Club, and their expenses are billed directly to the Department. A speaker staying at another hotel may be reimbursed in accordance with the University's travel policy about lodging, which specifies receipt requirements and other details.
- Taxi fares - Since multiple airport transfers are likely to exceed the Comptroller's $75 threshold, please send receipts for your home and Chicago airport taxis.
- Private car (home airport transfers or local speakers) - Please indicate the number of miles; which will be reimbursed in accordance with the current IRS rate. If you pay to park your car at your home airport, please indicate the amount or enclose the receipt. Local speakers using the University parking structure at the southeast corner of 55th Street and Ellis Avenue may submit the charges on their travel logs. (Any speaker from outside the metropolitan area considering driving to Chicago should contact Shadla Cycholl in advance to determine reimbursement limits based on common-carrier transportation.)
- Rental car - Because of road construction, restricted parking on campus, and other matters of (in)convenience, we strongly recommend that our visitors use taxis for their Chicago airport transfers. However, you may submit an original rental receipt in support of reimbursement of actual rental car charges not to exceed round-trip cabfare: $100 if you travel through O'Hare Airport, $50 if you travel through Midway Airport. Self-insured, the University does not reimburse for collision damager waiver (CDW) or liability insurance coverage.
- Other Expenses - Original charge card receipt or other receipt is required for any item $75 or more.
- Lost Receipts - Should you misplace any of your original receipts, please indicate this on your travel log (or in your cover letter) and add a statement that you will not receive reimbursement from any other source.