Dept. Physics, James Franck Institute, and the College
I did my PhD at Harvard University and then went on to do two post docs, first at the University of Rochester where I learned superconductivity from Ron Parks and then at the University of California, Irvine. I have over the years at the University of Chicago trained about 25 PhD students and about the same number of post doctoral scholars. I have served on many prize committees and advisory boards. My major administrative role was as a co-PI in a Science and Technology Center on High Temperature Superconductors (STcS) principally organized by Miles Klein at Urbana. My particular focus on the high temperature cuprates has been along the direction of the so-called BCS-BEC crossover. This is an approach which has been very fruitful--as the cold atomic Fermi gas superfluids have provided an exciting laboratory for this scenario.
I am a condensed matter theorist who has worked largely in the fields of superconductivity and superfluidity, with close interactions to experiment. Early work in this subject began with studies of superfluid helium-3, then moved to heavy fermion superconductors and then to the high Tc cuprates. While I maintain activities in the field of High Tc cuprates, at the time of the discovery of atomic gas (fermionic) superfluids, I developed a research program in Atomic and Molecular (AMO) Physics so that my research is rather evenly divided between AMO and condensed matter. My work inthe field of atomic superfluids (both bosonic and fermionic) has recently focused on their non-equilibrium behavior. New exotic superconductors such as proximitized topological superconductors and bi-layer graphene are also of great interest.
- Full Publication List
- "When superconductivity crosses over: From BCS to BEC", Qijin Chen, Zhiqiang Wang, Shuolong Yang and K, Levin (A review, preprint, 2022)
- "Heat bath approach to anomalous thermal transport:effects of inelastic scattering", Zhiqiang Wang, Rufus Boyack and K. Levin (ArXiv 2112.13148)
- "Dynamic preparation of an atomic condensate in a Hofstadter band', Han Fu, Andreas Glatz, Fnu Setiawan, Kai-Xuan Yao, Zhandong Zhang, Cheng Chin and K. Levin (2021, preprint)
- "Unified approach to electrical and thermal transport in high-Tc superconductors", Rufus Boyack, Zhiqian Wang, Qijin Chen and K. Levin ArXiv 2104.04879 (2021)
- "Quantum Geometric Contributions to the BKT Transition: Beyond Mean Field Theory", Zhiqiang Wang, Gaurav Chaudhary, Qijin Chen and K. Levin, Phys. Rev. B 102,184504 (2020).
- "Jet Substructure in Fireworks Emission from Non-Uniform Bose Einstein condensates" Han Fu, Zhendong Zhang, Kai-Xuan Yao, Lei Feing, Jooheon Yoo, Logan Clark, Cheng Chin and K Levin, Phys. Rev. Lett 125, 183003 (2020).
- "Strong Pairing in two dimensions: Pseudogaps, Domes and other implications" Xiaoyu Wang, Qijin Chen and K. Levin New Journal of Physics, 22, 063050 (2020).
- Combined effects of pairing fluctuations and a pseudogap in the cuprate Hall effect, Rufus Boyack, Xiaoyu Wang, Qijin Chen and K. Levin Phys. Rev. B 99, 134504 (2019)