Dept. of Physics, James Franck Institute, and the College
Distinguished Fellow, Argonne National Laboratory
- GCIS 135
Linda Young is a Distinguished Fellow at Argonne NationalLaboratory and a professor of physics at The University ofChicago. She obtained her S.B. from MIT and her Ph.D. from theUniversity of California, Berkeley. After a postdoctoralappointment at the University of Chicago, she started herresearch career in the Physics Division at Argonne NationalLaboratory, where she has worked in precisionlaser spectroscopy, electron scattering from polarizeddeuterium targets, atom trap trace analysis and x-ray interactionswith matter from the linear to nonlinear regimes. She hasserved as the Director of the X-ray Science Division ofthe Advanced PhotonSource and the Chair of the Division ofAtomic, Molecular and Optical Physics of the American PhysicalSociety. She serves on many scientific advisory boards andpanels worldwide. She has been honored as a Fellow of theAmerican Physical Society,JILA Visiting Fellow andas aHelmholtz International Fellow.
We currently investigate nonlinear x-ray interactions with matterasenabled by recentdevelopments withx-ray free electron lasers.
- Femtosecondelectronic response of atoms to ultra-intense x-rays.L. Young, E. P. Kanter, B. Krässig, Y. Li, A. M. March, S. T. Pratt, R. Santra, S. H. Southworth, N. Rohringer, L. F. DiMauro, G. Doumy, C. A. Roedig, N. Berrah, L. Fang, M. Hoener, P. H. Bucksbaum, J.P. Cryan, S. Ghimire, J. M. Glownia, D. A. Reis, J. D. Bozek, C. Bostedt, and M. MesserschmidtNature 466, 56 (2010).
- Unveiling and driving hidden resonances with high-fluence, high-intensity x-ray pulses.E. P. Kanter, B. Kr ̈assig, Y. Li, A. M. March, P. Ho, N. Rohringer, R. Santra, S. H. Southworth, L. F. DiMauro, G. Doumy, C. A. Roedig, N. Berrah, L. Fang, M. Hoener, P. H. Bucksbaum, S. Ghimire, D. A. Reis, J. D. Bozek, C. Bostedt, M. Messerschmidt, and L. YoungPhysical Review Letters 107, 233001 (2011).
- Nonlinear atomic response to intense ultrashort x rays.G. Doumy, C. Roedig, S.-K. Son, C. I. Blaga, A. D. Chiara, R. Santra, N. Berrah, C. Bostedt, J. D. Bozek, P. H. Bucksbaum, J. Cryan, L. Fang, S. Ghimire, J. M. Glownia, M.Hoener, E. P. Kanter, B. Kr ̈assig, M. Kuebel, M. Messerschmidt, G. G. Paulus, D. A. Reis, N. Rohringer, L. Young, P. Agostini, and L. F. DiMauro Physical Review Letters 106, 083002 (2011).
- Controlling x-rays with lightT. E. Glover, M. P. Hertlein, S.H. Southworth, T. K. Allison, J. van Tilborg, E. P. Kanter, B. Kr ̈assig, H. R. Varma, B. Rude, R. Santra, A. Belkacem, and L. Young Nature Physics 6, 69 (2010).
- Electromagnetically induced transparency for x-raysC. Buth, R. Santra and L. Young Physical Review Letters 98, 253001 (2007).